This site uses technical and analytics cookies.
By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies.

Fiscal code (Codice Fiscale)


The tax code is needed for carrying out financial transactions in Italy, like real estate transactions, inheritance, work, opening a bank account or enrolling in university.
It is also issued to non-Italian citizens. The service is free and is reserved for private citizens over the age of 18, exclusively resident in the Republic of Ireland.
For Northern Ireland residents please contact the Consulate General of Italy for Scotland and Northern Ireland in Edinburgh.

If you are moving to Italy in less then 30 days, you will need to ask the Tax code to the competent office of the Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate).

Requests for minors, or on behalf of third parties, or by the heir for a deceased family member must contain additional documents.

Companies must request the tax code in Italy at the office of the Revenue Agency competent for the territory in the place of registration/headquarters of the Company/Company in Italy.

You can request the release of an Italian tax code, if you have never had one before, or a certification of the existing one, for example for access to digital identity services.

The tax code does not expire and does not change due to a transfer abroad.

Please note that we issue plastic cards only for specific reasons.

How can I apply for a Codice Fiscale?
Those permanently residing in the Republic of Ireland may request the “codice fiscale” through this Embassy by providing the following:

• Application form duly filled and signed with pen: application-form-tax-code-english
• Copy of a valid identity document, including the page with the photo and the signature.
• Copy of your birth certificate.
• Proof of address in the Republic of Ireland.

The application must be completed in all its parts, paying particular attention that the details (name, surname, date and place of birth) exactly match those in the passport/ID. Italian nationals, even in case of dual citizenship, must apply according to their Italian details.

If applying for a child,in addition to the passport of the child, applications must include a parent’s ID and either a copy of a birth certificate or part of an ID or passport that clearly states the names of the parents.

You can send the application:
• By email to:
• By post to: Embassy of Italy, 63-65 Northumberland Road, Dublin 4

If you apply for a certificate only, it will be send to you by email in PDF format.

If you apply for a plastic card, you need to specify the specific reasons you need it and provide a pre-paid envelope with the application.
PLEASE NOTE: for a plastic card we cannot estimate a delivery time because the card is issued in Italy and it is sent to this Embassy by the Agenzia delle Entrate (it can take up to 2-3 months).