This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Electronic Id Card – CIE

Electronic ID card

As from January 2021 you can book an appointment to apply for a electronic ID card (CIE) in the form of a plastic card by following the procedure below. The CIE is issued by the Italian Ministry of the Interior and is sent from Italy.

1) What is an electronic ID card?

An ID card is an identification document valid to identify oneself and to move within the European Union, a few Schengen States (i.e. Iceland, Norway and Switzerland) and other States with which bilateral agreements have been reached (please visit each country tab on

The electronic ID card (CIE) is a new ID card in the form of a plastic card. In addition to performing the same functions as the paper version, it allows the holder to access the online services of the Italian Public Administration Departments.

2) Who can apply for an electronic ID card?

The Embassy of Italy in Dublin can issue an ID card only to Italian nationals legally residing in this consular district, already registered in the consular database and whose biographical data are already in the A.I.R.E. (Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all’Estero – Register of Italians residing abroad).

Those who are not registered in the AIRE must first sort out their registration through the FAST IT and wait, before applying, to be entered into that register by the competent Italian “comune” (municipality). For Italian nationals not registered in the AIRE, the issue of the ID card remains the responsibility of the Italian “comune” of official residence.

If you have changed your residence address (which is different from the one notified to the Consular office), you need to change it through the FAST IT portal before booking your appointment.

To register in the AIRE Italian nationals born abroad must have their birth certificate registered in the civil registers of the relevant Italian municipality.

3) When can I apply for a CIE?

The CIE is issued only:

· to those do not have another valid ID card;

· to those who have an ID card with less than 6 months’ validity;

· to those whose previous ID card has been lost, stolen or is deteriorated (in these cases the fee applied is that for a DUPLICATE)

This Office will automatically cancel any appointments if these requirements are not fulfilled.

4) How do you apply for an electronic ID card (CIE)?

The application for an electronic ID card must be submitted only through the Prenot@mi  portal

PLEASE NOTE: Should investigations reveal evidence preventing the processing of the CIE application, the appointment will be automatically cancelled (it will not be possible to make any corrections). The applicant will be informed of the reasons for rejection and will need to make a new application (attention should therefore be made to the requirements specified in the form).

5) Can I book an appointment for my minor children?

Yes. Whilst booking your appointment you will need to complete the “NOTE” space with details of your children. With one application you will be able to book an appointment for up to 2 (two) people.

6) Can I book an appointment on behalf of my spouse?

No. Your spouse needs to book an appointment on their own.

7) What documents must I submit at the appointment to apply for my CIE?

Normally the applicant must come to the appointment with the following:

1. Passport-size biometric photograph (recent, colour photograph in frontal view on a white background, 35 x 45mm size);

2. Previous ID card “even if expired”. In case of first time application, bring an identification document (even if it has expired) or two witnesses;

3. Lost/stolen report from the local police (an garda siochana)  , if applicable;

4. Both parents’ consent if the applicant is under 18 (see point 11));

5. Euro 21.95 , or Euro 27.11 for a Duplicate, payable by debit card.

8) What will happen at the appointment?

At the appointment the consular officer will collect the documents listed at the previous point, carry out the identification of the applicant, process their photograph and capture their fingerprints (except for applicants under 12).

Please note that also minors under 12 must be present, because they must be identified by the consular officer.

9) How do I receive my electronic ID card?

The CIE is issued by the Italian Ministry of the Interior and produced by the Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca dello Stato (Italian State Printing Works and Mint), which sends it by recorded delivery to the residence address declared by the applicant. The applicant will be able to track the delivery online through the tracking code provided. In case of non-delivery, after the holding time at the post office has elapsed, the package will be returned to the Consular office.

10) How long is the ID card valid for?

The validity of the ID card varies according to the age of the holder, more specifically:

· 3 years for minors aged from 0 to 2 years;

· 5 years for minors aged from 3 to 17 years;

· 10 years for adults (aged 18 and above).

11) What is the consent?

If the ID application is for a minor, the consent form (CIE2) will have to be completed and signed by both parents.

The consent is necessary even if the parents are not married, are separated or divorced.

· If one of the parents is a non-EU national (including British Citizen), the application form must be signed before a Consular officer, a public official in Italy or an Irish notary public. If the parent is in a country other than Italy or Ireland, they will need to sign the form at the relevant consular office where they are located at the time.

· If the other parent’s consent cannot be obtained, a decreto del Giudice tutelare signed by the Head of the Consular office acting as Judge supervising a guardianship will be issued. He/She acts as a Judge supervising a guardianship for minors residing and registered in this consular district. If the minor is resident in Italy, the Tribunale dei Minori (Juvenile Court) is the competent authority.

· If one of the parents is deceased, a copy of the death certificate will need to be submitted.

12) Do I have to apply for a new ID card if I change address?

No. The ID card is an identification document and not a residence document. It is therefore not possible or necessary to update your address on a valid ID card.

13) Can married women have their married name added?

No. The ID card is an identification document and not a marital status document. It is therefore not possible or necessary to add the marital status or the spouse’s surname on an ID card.

14) Starting from when can I apply for an electronic ID card (CIE)?

You can apply for an appointment for the issue of an electronic ID card from January 2021